Fitting some form of regular exercise around your busy life can prove difficult. Things such as, picking up the kids from school, taking the dog for a walk, doing the food shopping etc. can all put people off exercising, as they can’t see how they are going to fit in time to exercise and go to the gym. Don’t PANIC!!
Exercising within the comfort of your own home can help solve your time management problems as well as developing your fitness. For the following workouts you need a bit of floor space, and for some you will need dumbbells/bottles of water filled up to the desired weight.
Here are 5 top quick workouts to do at home:
1. Shoulder Workout
- Shoulder Press
- Bent Arm Side Lateral (Dumbells in each hand by legs raise horizontally to shoulder level)
- Front Raise (raise to shoulder level vertically)
Each exercise should be done 10 times in each set. Repeat 4 times. There should be no break between exercises, 30 seconds between sets. At the start use lighter weights and a longer break if needed before building it up.
2. Abdominal Workout
- Knee To Elbow Plank (10 Reps each side)
- Mountain Climbers (plank position, alternate legs in and out) (20 Reps)
- High Knees (20 Reps)
No rest between exercises, 30-60 second rest between each set. Repeat 4 times.
3. Mandatory 100s Cardio Workout
- Squat Thrusts
- Mountain Climbers
- Squat Jumps
This should take around 5 minutes but is a great intense workout. The aim is to do 100 reps of each exercise, you can choose to do 10/20 reps of each exercise at a time, continuous, until you have reached 100 reps on each. This is a very intense workout so take your time as it is more important to finish the workout rather than speed.
4. Chest, Back & Bicep Workout
- Side To Side Push Ups (move side to side between each rep, keep going to one side until you run out of room then change direction) (10 reps)
- Dumbbell Flys (10 Reps)
- Bent Arm Side Lateral (10 Reps)
- Bent Over Side Lateral (10 Reps)
- Dumbbell Front Raises To Ceiling (10 Reps)
- Dumbbell Good Mornings (One weight pulled into torso with both hands, bend forward 90 degrees and then back up to vertical) (10 Reps)
No rest between exercises. 60 second recovery between sets, repeat 2/3 times.
5. Body Weight Workout
- Alternate Leg Jump Lunges
- Squat Jumps
- One Legged Hip Thrusts From Floor (lye on the floor with one leg in the air straight and other bent towards the bum, with the bent leg push against the floor to thrust the hips into the air)
10 reps for each exercise. 60 second recovery between sets. Repeat 5 times.
It is important not to overdo it though, if you are attending boot camp regularly then these home work outs aren’t needed as often, they are perfect to make up for missed sessions or if you are just feeling motivated to do a bit more.
Hopefully these 5 workouts are easy to understand and can help you to improve your fitness and in time have a positive effect on your psychological well being. If you are unsure about some of the workouts simply type them into youtube and you will should be shown exactly how to perform the exercises. So come on finish reading this and get exercising. You don’t have to go far!!!