Bring something different into the kitchen with this colourful exotic meal.
150 ml chicken stock
2 x 125g skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 spring onions, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh root ginger
1 x 200g can cubed pineapple, drained
1 tablespoon mango chutney
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon curry paste
1 x 200g can black beans, drained and rinsed
Freshly ground black pepper
60g long grain or basmati rice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C, gas mark 4.
- Set a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat, add a little of the stock and cook the chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes each side, until browned. Transfer the chicken into an ovenproof dish.
- Add the red pepper, spring onions, garlic, chilli and ginger to the frying pan, and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining stock, together with the pineapple, mango chutney, brown sugar and curry paste. Bring to a simmer and then pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Lift out the chicken and keep warm.
- Pour the pineapple and vegetable mixture back into the frying pan and bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened. Add the drained black beans, and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice and drain well.
- To serve spoon the pineapple bean mixture over the chicken, sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with rice.