1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
60ml beef stock
175g lean minced beef
250 ml passata
Pinch of sugar
Small bunch of fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon cornflour
250ml skimmed milk
2 tablespoons virtually fat free fromage frais
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C, gas mark 4.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water, until it’s tender but still retains a little bite. Drain well in a colander.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion and garlic in the stock until softened. Stir in the minced beef and cook for between 5 and 10 minutes, stir occasionally. Add the passata, basil and sugar and mix well. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Make the white sauce while the mice is cooking. Blend the cornflour and a little of the milk together. Heat the remaining milk in a non stick pan and bring to the boil. Stir the hot milk into the cornflour mixture and return to the pan. Heat gently, stirring all the time, until it thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the fromage frais, ground nutmeg and beaten egg and season with black pepper.
- Cover the base of an ovenproof dish with half of the cooked pasta. Spoon the meat mixture over the pasta then cover with the remaining pasta. Pour the white sauce over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown, serve immediately and enjoy.